I went through a stage when I was a teenager where the only thing I would wear on my lips was Lip Smackers. Then it was Vaseline, followed by Lucas Paw Paw Ointment and then countless other lip balms or glosses. I didn’t know how to wear lipstick, so I have always steered clear of it, other than a light neutral shade that I would wear for special occasions.
But a few months ago I started wearing a bright shade of hot pink lipstick. I wear it everyday with a little gloss over the top and it has made a huge difference to me in a number of ways. While I was always afraid to wear bright lipstick, now I wouldn’t be without it. Here’s why:
- It instantly brightens up my face and limits the amount of other make up I need to wear. I still wear foundation, blush and a little mascara but that is about all on most days.
- I get complimented on my lipstick daily. It catches peoples attention because it is so bright. And because it is a complimentary colour for my skin it really pops out.
- A good moisturising lipstick is really nourishing for your lips and I find I need to apply far less than I do a gloss. I pop gloss over the top for a bit of shine.
- Finally, it makes me feel great. I think anything that makes you feel good on the inside and gives you confidence will make you look amazing on the outside! Bright lipstick does this for me.
This week’s challenge is to find a bright lipstick of your own and try wearing it. Give it a few days and see how you feel. At the end of the day it has to make you feel great to work so take the time to find the right shade for you. Here are a few more tips on how to wear lipstick:
- Line and colour in your lips with a lip pencil first. This gives a nice base to apply your lipstick.
- Look for a moisturising lipstick (I swear by the Cancer Council range, the shade I wear is Bougainvillea)
- If you have really dry lips try using a lip exfoliant like Kissable Lips available from Mecca.
- For everyday go lighter on your make-up as the lipstick will do the talking, add more makeup for evening for a glam look.
Do you wear bright lipstick? How does it make you feel?
Hi there gorgeous mama! Sign up to the Kid Magazine weekly newsletter to receive beauty, style, recipes and parenting tips plus special offers and more!