It’s a favourite Aussie past time but how often have you arrived at the beach only to realise you have forgotten something. Don’t be caught out again with this beach essentials checklist plus some of my favourite beach finds from Etsy for a stylish beach day out.
- A bag – opt for a waterproof bag with a zipper so you can close it up (and try to prevent sand getting in)
- Hats – for the whole family. Broad rims/bucket hats are best for better protection
- Sunscreen – it really should be top of the list but make sure you apply before you head to the beach and again while you are there. If you have trouble getting the kids to sit still opt for a roll on or spray on sunscreen
- A shade or umbrella – the more sun protection you can have the better, especially if you have fair skinned littlies at the beach. You can buy shades these days that fold up into a small bag like the ones from Sunny Jim. A blanket is also good if you don’t want to be lying on the sand or a towel.
- Water and snacks – spending all that time in the water and sun can really dehydrate you so make sure you pack plenty of water to rehydrate. To prevent walking back and forth to the beach kiosk (and spending a fortune) pack some snacks for the kids and save your money for an ice cream treat
- Snap lock bags – pop a few of these in your beach bag and you can use them for all sorts of things like protecting your phone in your bag or popping wet swimmers in at the end of the day
- Swimmers and towels – these should be one of the first things that go into the bag. If you are planning a full day at the beach maybe pack an extra towel for the kids so they have a clean towel to dry off with at the end of the day
- Something to read – reading on the beach is so relaxing and it might be one of the only chances you get to read in your busy life. Pack a book or magazine and enjoy the time off
- Toys for the kids – bucket and spade is a good start but make sure you’ve got something to keep the kids occupied on the sand so you can read your book.
1. Eco bucket bag by SmallWorldDreams 2. Palm leaf round towel by RoundTowels 3. Sarong/beach wrap by EulaleeSwim 4. Hair tie bracelets by beachcombershop 5. Wet dry bag by LittleAlligatorStore 6. Bondi Beach solid perfume stick by AROAMAS 7. Teepee bucket hat by JoyfooleryOz 8. Round beach sarong with crochet tassel trim by ljcdesignss 9. Coogee beach print by Sweetlittlepixels
** I love Etsy, yes I do! And that is why I joined their affiliate program. The links in this post are affiliate links but you can be assured that I spent over an hour researching the best of the best and would never recommend anything that I wouldn’t buy for myself or my family. You might like to read this post I wrote in 2012 about why I love buying handmade.
Have I missed anything in my list? Do you have any tips for a top day out at the beach?
Sign up to the Kid Magazine newsletter and receive a weekly update from the blog plus each issue of the magazine straight to your email inbox.